Monday, May 23, 2011

Is Using Humor the Deciding Factor in Winning a Contest?

How do you improve a skill you wish to excel at?


I find folks who are better than me at that skill and study them. Seeking improvement in my oral communication skills, I attended the Toastmasters District 26 Conference which included a Table Topics Contest, educational sessions a business meeting and the highlight, the International Speech Contest which was held on May 20 & 21, 2011 at the Embassy Suites in Loveland, Colorado. I went in particular to learn and understand what makes a winning speech. The International Speech Contest for the District is the pinnacle of success for those contestants who win their Division Contests. After watching and listening to the contestants, I observed all of the speeches encompassed the four “H’s” of public speaking according to the 2000 World Champion of Public Speaking, Ed Tate, Head, Heart, Humor and Heavy Duty, (Its significant).


Each contestant was poised as they gave their speech. They all approached the contest professionally and with well polished presentations. Each one had personal and powerful stories to share. I also observed that International Speech Contest Speeches are strong on the Head, Heart and Heavy Duty. This can bring about a dramatic tension that in a five to seven minute speech, can be significant and overbearing. The one element I noticed and counted during the contest was the amount of laughs each speaker received in their presentation.


Here is my observation;
• In Thomas Judson’s speech, “Sorcerer’s Apprentice,” he received four laughs.
• In Joan Janis’s speech, “Wings,” she received six laughs.
• In Chuck Maher’s speech, “The simple secret, we get to play,”
he received seven laughs.
• In Stephen Doherty’s speech, “Pull that ripcord,” he received ten laughs.
• In Paula Cowen’s speech, “Embrace uncertainty,” she received sixteen laughs.
• In Rich Hopkins’ speech, “Change the rules. Change the reason,” he received
eighteen laughs.


Without giving it away, who do you think won, first, second and third place in the District 26 Speech Contest? You guessed it. Rich Hopkins won first, Paula Cowen received second and Stephen Doherty came in third. I have no way of knowing if their using humor and getting more laughs had anything to do with the outcome of the winners. All I know is, from my observation, the speakers who used humor to break the tension of their speeches from Head, Heart and Heavy Duty, placed higher than the other contestants. Learning from these champions, I will work at inserting more humor, where appropriate, into my speeches.


What observations did you make while attending an International Speech Contest at a District Conference?

1 comment:

Darryle Brown, DTM said...

That is an interesting observation. However, there is no guarantee it is always the case. For example, in the humorous speech contest, I have heard contestants that were way funnier than some of the contestants that won. Maybe it's perhaps the opposite scenario in that case, I don't know. However, you do bring up an interesting point. I believe the key factor is balance between humor and the other factors. If we can skillfully use humor in a manner in which it provides that balance it perhaps makes some difference but not the "magic bullet" per se to win the contest.