Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yes! We have it in that color.

A customer asked me recently if I had some way to promote my products in his store. Being in the hardgoods side of my business we do not do a lot of point of sales materials, I asked what are you looking for? The customer paused and then said, “I know you have literature and do lots of advertising in trade publications. But, I’m looking for something that my people can wear to be a reminder that we sell your product.” I sell spray color in a aerosol can.

This customer has lots of walk in traffic and is located in a terminal market with many other businesses. The customer went on to say, “so often we get people looking for a container or a prop and we don’t have it in the color they are looking for and I am constantly training my staff to get the sell no matter what. If I can help them see that we have what they need and all they have to do it spray it with your colors everyone is happy. I sell what I have in stock and the customer gets the look they need.”

This customer’s employees all were a smock to protect their clothes and have a uniformed look allowing their customers to tell that they work at the store. “Why don’t you create a button that all my folks can wear on their smocks. It could say something like, Yes we have it in that color.”

The idea was simple and the buttons were produced. An inexpensive way to help a customer get our message out and provide them with a tool that can help sell more product. Often time just letting a customer think out loud gives you an opportunity to be a hero and give them what they want. Listen and you shall hear.

No comments: