Friday, November 9, 2007

"That's not bad"

On a recent visit to Kentucky my three and a half year old granddaughter Maggie came up to up to me and said, “That’s not bad”. I said, “What’s not bad honey.” She brought over a page from one of her Mother’s catalogs with Halloween costumes on it. Maggie showed me the page and said it again, “That’s not bad”, shaking her head. I said to my wife Kathy what is she talking about. My wife figured out that Maggie was “parroting” her Mother who must have looked at the catalog when Maggie was around, read the price of the costumes and said, “That’s not a bad price.” Maggie heard, “That’s not bad”.

Maggie’s phrase got me thinking. What we hear and how we perceive it is often our belief. When I view the news of the day and see and hear only it’s troubles then that’s how I may “parrot” back these events to others. If I seek the good and actively listen for it, that’s what I will hear and “parrot” back. I realize all is not rosy in the world and bad things do occur. I am however suggesting if we hear or see that something is negative, we examine it with, how can we make it better. Or, can I help turn the situation around?

As I reflect on my own life, my family is healthy and happy and, “That’s not bad”. My work and career are going well, and “That’s not bad”. I volunteer in many organizations and clubs and, “That’s not bad”. With all the division in the world and this country, we can stew in the negative and listen to the naysayers or we can look around for the good and for opportunities to be the best. In my mind I rather “parrot,” “That’s not bad” all day long. A positive person attracts other positive people and vise versa. It’s a choice. Maggie may have latched onto something that I hope she never loses and “That’s not bad”.

No comments: