Friday, November 2, 2007

Learning - A Lifelong Passion

“Bradley, I am sending you to the WF&FSA Management Institute” were the words my father said to me, twenty four years ago. I had just started working for our family business, the Larry Beck Company, as a field rep on the west coast selling Floral Supplies. Fresh out of college and a baby on the way, I resisted having to spend another few days on the road away from my family. I made every excuse why I didn’t need to go. In the end, my father prevailed and I attended my first Management Institute at Indiana University. I am glad my father insisted that I go. The Management Institute and their sub-goup Young Executives (now Emerging Leaders) are two of the best reasons why I become involved in Wholesale Florist & Florist Supplier Association, a floral industry trade association . Management Institute is one of the best experiences I have ever had while learning and networking with my peers. Attending that first Management Institute gave me a unique perspective to better understanding my customers’ business and problems. I gained new insights, new friends and a few golden nuggets that helped me to become better at my job. A few years ago, I received the opportunity to join Design Master, an international color marketing company with a focus on aerosol sprays, as an in-house manager. I jumped at the challenge. One of the nicest advantages of being associated with Young Executives was I already knew who the customers were and the people who ran those companies. I knew the owners and the managers, as well as the fresh and supply people in the leading wholesale houses around the country. I had the honor of serving as a Young Executives Council Member, Vice President and President of the Young Executives. From this experiance I got to know who the players were and, more importantly, I became known to the customers who helped me in my new position. I recently attended my twentieth Management Institute. It is amazing to witness how this event and the Emerging Leaders have evolved into a dynamic component of the WF&FSA organization. The new name applied to the group, Emerging Leaders is a“re-branding” that adds sizzle and buzz to attract some people to join the group. Personally, the group can be called whatever the association would like. At 48 years old I still am a member of the organization and will continue as long as they will have me. Why? I like being a part of something that makes me feel and think young. I like to associate with people who have new ways of thinking and new ideas that help me see opportunities with fresh eyes. I like the friendship and camaraderie I have built with people in the fresh, supply and transportation segments of our industry. Continuing education is not just for those in college or a professional trade. Lifelong learning, networking and looking for new ways to think and act are all a part of continuing education. I hope I am fortunate enough to attend 20 more years of Management Institutes and hopefully the Emerging Leaders will let me keep my membership active until I decide to retire.

No comments: