Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Optimist Way - Part 5

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

I worked for my Father as a manufacture’s representative for fifteen years in the floral and craft business. My father was always looking to position ourselves differently from the competition. One day he saw an ad in a magazine which he cut out and shared with me. For many years that ad hung over my Father’s desk. It was a picture of the then GM Chairman and CEO Lee Iacocca. The ad was simple, yet brilliant. It stated, “We have only one desire, to be the best. What else is there?” It say's it all.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.


I have many successful friends and relatives. Weather they have successful businesses or are successful in life. I like being around successful people. It inspires me to work harder and smarter. I like to celebrate successes when I get the opportunity. When I hear of a friend getting a promotion I’ll send them a note of congratulations. When a friend has a baby or gets married, I’ll send flowers. Being enthusiastic when other’s have success says to the world that you are a cheerleader for them and you want to be a part of the success. There is a saying that goes, "A high tide raises all ships” .

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

I have always had a bit of a challenge with this wording, “To forget the mistakes of the past”. I believe if we fully forget we are doomed to repeat. However, I believe what this sentence really means is not to dwell on the past and get stuck by its weight. One has to know about the past in order to “press on to the greater achievements of the future.” I look towards the future as an opportunity to make right, the wrongs of the past. The future is where we all will live so we have to make it the best we can by doing now, the things that will make it a place we wish to live. I have made many mistakes in my life, however I have looked upon them as lessons on what not to do or how to do things a better way, the next time. I can not get mired by my miss steps, rather I have to figure how to go beyond them and make them work for me.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Brad-
Thanks for the link I added you to my favorites so I can check in on you regularly. I look forward to it!!

Nick