Friday, July 6, 2007

The Optimist Way - Part 2


Before we start on how the Optimist Creed can make you a better sales person, I
In 1973 I was the Student Body President at Oliver Wendell Homes Junior High School in Northridge, California. One day I was invited to attend a meeting by the administrators of my school. I was greeted by Mrs. Joan Elam, our Student Government Advisor. She was a wonderful teacher and a well-liked administrator. Mr. Thompson, the Principal entered with some guests. The next thing I knew I was being introduced to our local Councilman, Robert Wilkinson. Then, other teachers entered the room as well as some people I was unfamiliar with. They were members of the local service club, the Optimist Club of Northridge, California. I didn’t know what the Optimist Club was at that time. I was introduced to them and they asked me many questions and seemed to have a genuine interest in my classes and hobbies.

The meeting started and the President of the Optimist Club spoke and gave a brief explanation of this “Friend of Youth” organization and what their club did in the community. As I looked around the room and saw the Optimist Club member’s professional appearance, big smiles and confident stature. I felt like I was in some big-time business meeting. Now, came the reason they were all gathered and why I was invited. It turned out this was an opportunity for their Optimist Club to recognize students in a leadership role in our school. They asked me to come to the front of the room to receive, A Youth Appreciation Citation Award. I was a surprised.

I was not expecting an award or to be recognized by people I did not even know.  It was long lasting experience for me. All our student government members had worked on many community events such as food drives and playing wheel chair basketball with kids my age that had lost their legs in accidents. These were activities which were not unique to me since I was raised that one should look out for their fellow citizen. They were just part of what I was taught to do to have the virtue of gratitude. To be of service in my community. To help others in need. To be aware that there are different people, some less fortunate then myself. And to take a leadership roll in doing community activities. As my Mom always said, "If you’re not involved, then you have no right to complain.”

Receiving this award always stuck with me and I knew that one day when I put down roots, I would become involved in the organization that made such an impression on me. In 1999, when I moved to Colorado I decided to make the commitment to join the local Optimist Club. In 2005 I was elected President of the Optimist Club of Erie, Colorado and have held every officer role in the club.  Today, I am a lifetime member of Optimist International and share the message of optimism whenever I can.
Now, on my next installment I'll begin my trek into the Optimist Creed.

No comments: