Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Gingrich, Gitomer and Giuliani

I play in the minor leagues. The minor league of speaking that is. I have been a member of a local Toastmaster’s group for two years now and I have empirically improved my public speaking and writing skills. You might even say public speaking has become one of my passions. The only way I have found to get better at speaking or any skill is to Practice! Practice! Practice! Like the minor leagues the only way to get to the majors is to also Practice, Study, Execute and Review. One way I have found to enhance my skills is to watch and learn from the Pro’s.

A friend from Toastmaster’s, Gary and I have taken this idea to heart. We have journeyed early in the morning and at all times of the day to listen and learn from some of the best public speakers in the world. I guess you could call us “speech junkies.” Watching the Pros speak is for me where ideas and inspiration ignite. To date I have listen to Financial Wizard Suze Orman, Former Secretary of State, General Colin Powel, Investor Phil Town, Denver Broncos Football Coach Mike Shanahan, Sales Legend Tom Hopkins, President and CEO of Forbes Magazine Steve Forbes.

I have listened to numerous lesser know, yet equally inspiring speakers such as 1-800 Flowers Founder and CEO Jim McCann, E-Myth Author Michael Gerber, Restaurateur Bob Farrell, Phone Doctor Anita Sullivan and Business Authors Gregg Grey, Hal Becker, Carl Larson, Michael Angelo Caruso, Jeff Tobe, and Dan Coleman.

In the Floral Industry where I have worked for over 23 years there are some of the best Professional Floral Commentators around, including Bobby Ecker, Phil Rulloda, Frankie Shelton, Bill Taylor, Ralph Null, Holly Money-Collins, Rocky Pollitz, John Hanes, Rene Van Rems, Kim Morrill, Richard Milteer, Sharon McGukin, Susan Overton, Robbin Yelverton, Ardith Beveridge, Bob Bigham, Frank Brice, Carol Caggiano, Deborah, De La Flor, James Del Prince, Ken Fetgatter, Marlin Hargrove, Catherine Hillen-Rulloda, Marie Ackerman, Talmage McLaurin, Tom Bowling, Johnny Childres, Phil Easter, Toomie Farris, Hitomi Gilliam, Lynn Lary McLean, Herb Mitchell, Kirk Pamper, Alan Parkhurst, Jerome Raska, J Schwanke, Richard Seekins, Joe Smith, Margo Sutter, Matt Wood, Kevin Ylvisker.

Speakers can also remind you of habits to watch out for. I once heard Do-It-Yourself Diva, Martha Stewart as the keynote speaker at a craft industry trade show. Her information was great, however her delivery was lackluster and she had over 300 um’s and ah’s in a 50 minute speech. A Toastmaster Club could really help Martha with that.

Three speakers in particular stand out for me. Former U.S. Speaker, Newt Gingrich, Author and Business Guru Jeffrey Gitomer and Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Each of these gentleman are first and foremost great storytellers. They use their voice to add variety to their message. They are entertaining and informative. Their message is clear, concise and easy to follow. They paint pictures with words. They speak with authority and conviction. Most importantly they speak from knowledge. They know their stuff. They are masters of the subjects they speak about. And they have some fun while they are speaking. I could tell they all enjoyed what they were doing. Messrs Gingrich, Gitomer and Giuliani all are in the big league of public speaking. If I practice some more, maybe one day I’ll be called up to the majors.

No comments: