Wednesday, September 28, 2011

“On my way to being the best I had to fail to reach success.”

In our culture failure is often thought of as a negative. We strive for constant success. Winning is everything we are told. Second place is no place. Yet, without failure where would each of us be? Everyone has had failures in their life at some point. It could be a failure on a test. A failure to win a team sport. A failure to connect with that one opportunity because we feared the failure. We perhaps thought, why even try if failure is emanate?

Let me suggest that without the many failures I have encountered, I would not have reached today’s success. This begs the question, how can one overcome failure? Try once more, only this time differently. I am no expert on overcoming failure or reaching success. I can only share my experience of how I have failed and more importantly, how I have bounced back to triumph another day. Throughout my life I have played on failed teams, failed classes, had failed relationships, a failed marriage, worked on a failed political campaign, and failed to take out the trash. My response, who cares? So I failed. Big deal! After brushing off a bruised ego or body, I get up and begin again.

Failure is the natural progression of having tied to do something and not being immediately successful. This is where most of us stop and we become defeatist. The key to your future success is persistence. The 30th President of the United States, Calvin Coolidge once said, "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, press on, has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race." So, press on. Be persistent. Be determined.

Upon your next failure, ask yourself, what did I learn? How can I incrementally improve to the next higher level? What am I going to do to ensure a better outcome the next time? How can I use the experience to move forward and fail again? Yes, failure is rewarded when you try one more time and break though the barrier of the past. You will not reach your success without taking a chance at something you previously thought impossible. Plan, practice, persist and prosperity will surely be your reward.

When you reach, you extend the possibility for success. Stretch your mind to believe that without failure there is no reward, no success. Fail more often. Move your failure forward in your learning cycle. Fail in the direction you wish to grow and achieve. Fail is a four letter word like work, that will get you to the pinnacle of your dreams and goals. Work on your failures, don’t let your failures work on you. “On your way to being the best, failure will help you to reach your success.

No comments: