Monday, November 22, 2010

Toastmasters Made Me A Better Campaign Volunteer

We won! We won! The election results were close and were not official for a few days, however we had elected my friend to the Colorado Legislature. With the help of some very committed folks we were able to beat the odds and celebrate the goal of getting our first time candidate elected to office against a two time incumbent. How did we do it? Lot’s of organizational meetings, knocking on doors, attending community functions and events, waving signs and listening and talking to voters. I am convinced we had the right combination of a great candidate, with the right message, at the right time.

I also had many years of Toastmasters experience which helped me to have the confidence to knock on thousands of doors and be engaging enough to not get too many slammed in my face. I contribute my personal success on the campaign trail to my Toastmasters experience. I had given dozens of prepared speeches. I had participated in table topics at weekly meetings. I was prepared to speak off the cuff. I was ready. Here are some funny things that happened along the way.

One day I walked up a driveway to a house where the garage door was open. As I approached a women came out of her house and asked, “Can I help you?” Thinking on my feet I responded, “You sure can!” I explained who I was and why I was there and asked her some engaging questions. We had a nice conversation for about five minutes, an eternity when you’re door knocking. This women was very responsive towards our campaign. I asked for her vote and she was even agreeable to take a yard sign, the jackpot of our conversation. As I was turning to leave the women stopped me and said, “Young man, I have just one more question?” “Yes,” I said. “Can you tell me why I came out into the garage in the first place. “ That was the laugh of the day.

Another time as I was knocking on doors in a different neighborhood I came across a man who asked me a question before I could ask him one. Was he a Toastmaster? I thought. “Where does your candidate get his funding from? Who supports him financially?” Without missing a beat I responded with, “From small donors like you and me” and I handed him a contribution envelope. We both had a good laugh. My table topics training to think on my feet had helped me come up with a quick come back and be able to get the gentleman to even give a contribution.

Several times our campaign had overlapping invitations for our candidate to speak. Often I was asked to do so on his behalf. This is tuff to do, yet knowing my candidates policy positions and hearing him talk numerous times, I was prepared to speak and relay our message to the audience. One time my candidate was stuck in traffic and could not make it in time to an event. I was asked to say a few words on the campaigns behalf. The butterflies only lasted from the walk to the front room until I approached the lectern. I told myself, “it’s just like table topics,” and once my mouth was in motion, the mind went into gear and I was able to share with the audience our campaigns message. I even received a nice applause. Thankfully I had been in similar situations at my Toastmasters Club meetings many times therefore it was not a stretch to get up an share a few words about our campaign. And I did it all under three minutes. Another benefit of Toastmasters is you know how to “get to the point” something many politicians never learn, tell a little story with a beginning, middle and end using smooth transitions and be off the stage before the time keeper cuts you off.

If you know anyone who wishes to work on a campaign or run for public office, the Toastmasters program can help make them or you a better communicator and leader.

No comments: