Friday, May 11, 2007

A Signature Story

Since moving to Colorado several years ago I have become a Colorado Rockies Fan. During the baseball season I attend as many Rockies games as I can. I often purchase some sort of memorabilia when I go to a game. Once I purchased an Official Major League Baseball with the Rockies Logo on it. What do you think I paid for this ball? $5.00 - $10.00 - $15.00? Actually I paid $2.50 at the Rockies souvenir store.

In my basement or “the mancave”, as my wife likes to call it, I have lots of baseball memorabilia. Baseball cards from my youth. Bobble Heads from stadiums I have visited. Pennants from different ballparks. And of course I have baseballs signed by some of the greats of the game. One of my favorite baseballs is from a pitcher. I looked up to him as a hero, when I was a kid.
This Hall of Famer had four no-hitters in four consecutive years.
A perfect game in 1965.
He won the Cy Young award for pitching three times.
He won the earned-run title five years in a row.
He won twenty-five or more games three times.
He had eleven shut outs in1963.
I am talking about Sandy Koufax.

Here’s a question? What's the difference between the Official Major League Baseball with the Rockies Logo on it and the ball signed by Sandy Koufax?
I would suggest that the difference is VALUE. The VALUE one assigns to something that is unique or different. Something that is outstanding or rare. That's what I would say you need to do in your business. You need to put your signature on what ever you do. You may buy in bulk and break assortments down to smaller resalable units. You may act as a banker by giving terms to your customers. You may be a consultant to your customers by providing them with the latest products and industry information. You need to add VALUE to whatever part of the channel of distribution you are in. VALUE is what the signature of Sandy Koufax adds to the baseball I have. Every time I hold that ball there is that little kid in me saying, Wow!!!. Now, do you provide that sort of VALUE to your customers? Do you provide them with, WOW!!!. If you are not, your competition is.

Batter up!!!

No comments: