Monday, January 8, 2007

Speaking from the Heart

FEAR is how most people would describe the emotion they most feel if asked to give a speech in front of a group or to give a presentation of any kind. My career as a Sales Professional requires me to present ideas and information in a clear and concise way. Whether it’s explaining a new product or educating customers. Speaking to groups large and small is always a bit nerve racking. I wanted to find a way to control the “butterflies” I always felt in my stomach when I spoke in public. I had the privilege of hearing Professional Speaker, Greg Grey, http://www.greggray.com/ give a talk entitled, Butterflies in Formation: Delivering Presentations with Less Anxiety and Greater Impact. Gregg’s style and professional and humorous presentation inspired me to seek the help I was looking for.

In 2005, I joined a new Toastmaster’s Club that was forming called the Chamber Ad-Liborators. http://chamberadlib.freetoasthost.info/ This Toastmasters Club is associated with the Chamber serving Broomfield, Colorado. I jumped at the chance to improve my speaking and listening skills. In the first year of being a member I earned my Certified Toastmaster’s Award,(CTM). This required me to complete 10 speeches in a basic Communication Program Manual. These ten assignments are designed to instill a basic foundation in public speaking. My communication skills were improved and my ability to express myself was greatly enhanced. Best of all I discovered several techniques to contain my butterflies. I was on my way to fulfilling one of my professional and personal goals.

Then an event that all of us have to go through at some point in our lives took the wind out of my sail. My Mother unexpectedly passed away on December 16, 2005. My family was devastated. Mom was the glue that held our family together. I had to fly from Denver to Los Angeles and console family and friends. When making funeral arrangements we came to the point where we were asked, “who would like to speak in memory of your Mother?” There was silence. Deafening, long, silence.

I mustered the courage to say I would speak on behalf of our family and try to memorialize my Mother in the loving a respectful way she raised her children.
It was the hardest speech I have ever given. Thankfully, I had learned the basic skills of public speaking which the Toastmaster’s experience had provided. It was not perfect, but it was heartfelt. I did cry at times as I spoke, yet I was able to “buck up” and deliver my words in a calm and loving manner. Now, almost any speech I give, I look forward to. I have command of those “butterflies” and I have control of the fear of public speaking.

For a Toastmasters near you visit; http://www.toastmasters.org/
The Broomfield Ad-Liborators meet Thursdays at 7:30am at Sill-Terhar Ford
150 Alter Street Broomfield, CO 2nd floor meeting room

No comments: