Friday, December 8, 2006

First blog

Listen To Color

Hello out there in web-land. This is my first official post on my blog.
What is listen to color? It’s a play on words. Of course you don’t hear color, you see it. Although I have known musicians who swear they can hear colors. My purpose is not to create a dialog about sounds even though I love music, as much as I want to create a dialog about color, business, management, information, flowers, crafts, being creative, selling, listening and sharing ideas in cyberspace.

I have been in the color business for twenty three years. I started out working as a “road dog” selling floral and craft supplies for my Father’s company, the Larry Beck Company. I did this for fifteen years. We were independent manufacture’s representatives for several top floral and craft supply manufactures. We sold our goods primarily on the west coast from San Diego to Vancouver, BC, from El Paso, Texas to Edmonton, Canada.

About eight years ago one of these companies, Design Master color tool, inc. a international spray color company, asked me to come “in house” with them. Prior to this I was affectionately known as being “outhouse”. A crappy position to be in at times. I was on the road seven months a year. I was living in hotel rooms. I was always eating in restaurants. It was tough on marriages as well.

At first I was National Accounts Manager for the company, then became National Sales Manager. For eight years I have been fortunate enough to be based in Boulder, Colorado where our home office is located. I travel a bit less. I have learned a tremendous amount about business, selling, dealing with people, customers and the change which is constant.

My goal is to post an idea a week and see where it takes me. Hopefully, there will be some good opportunities to share, listen and learn.
Thanks,
LTC - Brad

No comments: